I’ve chosen to specialise in sustainability and international development because I want to do my bit to make a difference.
Maybe that sounds a bit naive. But it’s the truth.
I try to do my bit not just by working with purpose-driven clients but by running my business in a sustainable way.
Accountability and transparency are vital for this, which is why I’m sharing my social responsibility policy.
It’s not perfect.
It’s a work in progress.
But then, aren’t we all?
What I’m doing now
I am committed to reducing my environmental impact by:
- buying 100% renewable energy from So Energy
- minimising the amount of paper waste I produce: I only print documents when absolutely necessary and always use both sides of the paper
- using recycled or eco-friendly office supplies where possible, e.g. recycled paper and a fountain pen with a refillable cartridge
- putting on an extra layer before turning on the heating
- working from home to minimise travel
- using public transport or walking as much as possible
- using 100% wind-powered web hosting from Green Hosting
I also recognise my own privilege and continue to educate myself to be aware of this and amend my behaviour.
I work as a volunteer translator for charities to further their cause.
Plans for the future
As I said, this policy is a work in progress.
Here are some things I plan to do to improve my practices:
- choose ethically sourced or refurbished products when my current electronics need replacing
- donate a percentage of my profits to an environmental charity
If you have any more ideas for what I could do to make more of an impact, then I’d love to hear from you.